The Wellness Philosophy
|Self-sufficiency||rather than dependency.|
rather than senselessness.
rather than fear.
THE WELLNESS PHILOSOPHY
InnerWisdom's fundamental philosophy is based on the concept that wellness, as it relates to complete health and wellbeing, is a combination of different aspects of one's life and social environment. Although InnerWisdom focuses on the issues that are presented regarding mental health care, we also evaluate and address other areas of the individual's life that appear to be problematic.
Wellness is more than nutrition, exercise, or the state of freedom of disease. It is a dynamic state of awareness of the nonphysical aspects of life such as will, motivation, feelings, desires, sense of purpose, thoughts, memories, and beliefs.
Wellness is self-empowerment and the pursuit of the passions of one's life that enhances the core essence. The state of wellness influences occupation, friendships, social involvement and self-worth. A life-style of wellness creates a positive attitude toward self, others, and society in general. It is a willingness to learn and experience new ideas, and to establish a positive approach toward an imperfect life.
Wellness is about training the mind to acknowledge only positive attitudes, beliefs and thoughts, while revising and reframing negative or self-destructive ones.
Anyone who seriously undertakes a recovery program must be well prepared before beginning the process. Listed here are steps that should be taken before the journey begins. As in a journey by automobile to another destination, you must make sure that everything is in working order and in good repair. A map, compass, and other navigational tools are also necessary.
- Identify at least five people that will be willing to "be on call" at any time of the night or day, to lend you support and encouragement in the event that you become overwhelmed with feelings or memories.
- Identify a professional psychotherapist, counselor or pastor who is trained to assist those individuals who are experiencing disturbing or unfamiliar feelings, or who can help during difficult times to break through tough barriers that prevent recovery.
- Develop a set time of the day and week to work on recovery exercises. Plan around the most important appointments of the week, but be sure to keep the "appointments with yourself" as regularly as possible. The mind works more efficiently when on a well-developed schedule.
- Identify your most creative escape routes (creative activities) and prepare yourself with supplies. If you find that you are depressed, anxious, angry, enraged, hostile, suicidal or homicidal, and you can't find significant relief from the feeling(s) through talking with one of your support persons, use the creative tasks to process disturbing emotions. Creativity is one of the most powerful ways to express emotions. Journal writing, drawing, singing, dancing, playing or listening to music are just some of the ways of finding relief through the expressive arts. Don't stop until you feel better. It may take several hours or even several days, but you will begin to experience a sense of peace and well being.
- Join a support group. You can find groups in every city and town, and in every country. Start with a church or a community organization, and branch out to other supportive activities.
Keep a list of the names and phone numbers of people, organizations, support groups, professionals, Hot Lines, churches, and hospitals, and put them where you can always find them. Keep several copies: at the office, in the bathroom, in the bedroom, and BY THE PHONE. Then use them if you need them!
The Family As A System
The importance of strong relationships, healthy families, and well-adjusted children, has been the basis of a well functioning society. The family aspects of a stable nation have changed over the past several generations. In essence, we have lost touch with the concept of the perfect family and have nearly destroyed families in the process.
Some individuals have chosen nontraditional life paths. In addition, society has changed its concept of what constitutes a family, and we are adjusting our thoughts and behaviors regarding family values.
It is a known fact, though, that our family experiences influence us well past childhood. Family interaction is the initial and most lasting influence that each of us will ever know. The way that we experience our family members determines what it means to us to be a human being. These experiences have formed the very basic and core belief about "who we are and how we behave".
The reason that the family systems model works in helping individuals define their lives is that the conceptual focus is on the family system as a whole, and not on one individual member. Individual symptoms are viewed as by-products of relationship struggles, situations that are inherent in growing up in a group of other people, whether biological family members or not. Interventions are thus geared toward understanding each individual's behavior patterns, roles and functions, and how they fit into the complex matrix of the specific family system.
- Most essential is our core competence in recovery. We maintain an experienced team advancing our company-wide objective for highly applicable and cost effective mental health treatment.
- We know how to manage a crisis. We provide a rapid response to any situation as we can quickly evaluate the problem stabilize the condition and anticipate a positive outcome.
- We apply our skills and expertise to help motivate individuals and groups to work together for the betterment of communities.
- Our client community is diverse and varied. This diversity is reflected in our treatment staff allowing for healthy therapeutic relationships to develop.
- We understand that other people's feelings are central to emotional well-being. Modeling this philosophy is essential for success. Our treatment programs focus on social awareness - the ability to understand and respond to the needs of others.
What Our Clients Say
Everyone made me feel welcome; the staff and clients from my first day. If I felt lost or confused I was pointed in the right direction or was given information to answer my questions. I had time to get adjusted to everything without feeling hurried.
All aspects of the program were special. The staff was kind well trained professional and experienced. Treatment was tailored to each person’s needs complemented by group therapy. My transformation has been wonderful.
InnerWisdom provided an approach to treatment that renewed my spirit mind and body. I would recommend the program to any of my family and friends. The environment is nurturing for anyone needing an environment for recovery.
I am very grateful that my treatment was at InnerWisdom Inc. This place is very special and that is because of the staff and caring environment.
Fabulous treatment program! Can’t put into words how grateful I am to have had the opportunity to come here.
Inner Wisdom has a Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP) where patients meet in groups with a therapist on a daily schedule. Patients have a variety of mental illness diagnoses including Bipolar Disorder Schizoaffective disorder Schizophrenia and substance abuse which interfere with their ability to live a full and productive life. Students will have the opportunity to shadow therapists facilitate therapy groups and Psychoeducation groups meet individually with patients and understand the case management required by Medicare and private insurance companies. Students work under a variety of therapists and can observe different styles and strengths. A strong team approach is encouraged. Students have the opportunity to get direct experience with patients and to use their skills creatively in offering therapy.
Former Student Intern