A Word Of Precaution
Taking the First Step into Recovery
Therapy and recovery from emotional situations and addictions is a personal and sometimes freighting life event. It is not to be taken lightly. It can be less daunting and freighting if a few simple rules are followed before one begins. Recovery is never free from emotional pain, anxiety and distress, but the way one moves through the difficult places can be easier of the road is well paved and rest stations are identified before the first step of the journey is taken. Here are a few rules to follow:
- Identify at least five people that will be willing to "be on call" at any time of the night or day, to lend you support and encouragement in the event that you become overwhelmed with a negatively charged feeling or event memory.
- Identify a professional psychotherapist, counselor or pastor who is trained to assist those who are experiencing disturbing or unfamiliar feelings, or who can help during difficult times to break through tough barriers that prevent recovery.
- Develop a set time of the day and week to work on workbook exercises of journaling. Plan around the most important appointments of the week, but be sure to keep the "appointments with yourself" regularly. The mind works more efficiently when on a well-developed schedule.
- Identify your most creative escape routes (activities) and prepare yourself with the supplies that accompany those creative expressions. If you find that you are depressed, anxious, angry, enraged, hostile, suicidal or stressed, and you can't find significant relief from the feeling(s) through talking with one of your support persons, use the creative expression that you have chosen as a way of processing the disturbing emotions. Creativity is one of the most effective way in which to discharge negative feelings and memories. Writing, drawing, coloring, journaling, sculpting and singing are ways to actively display your creativity
- Join a support group. You can find groups in every city and town, and in every country. Start with a church or a community organization, and branch out to other supportive activities.
- Keep a list of the names and phone numbers of people, organizations, support groups, professionals, Hot Lines, churches, and hospitals where you can always find them. Keep several copies: at the office, in the bathroom, in the bedroom, and BY THE PHONE. Then use them if you need them!
- Most essential is our core competence in recovery. We maintain an experienced team advancing our company-wide objective for highly applicable and cost effective mental health treatment.
- We know how to manage a crisis. We provide a rapid response to any situation as we can quickly evaluate the problem stabilize the condition and anticipate a positive outcome.
- We apply our skills and expertise to help motivate individuals and groups to work together for the betterment of communities.
- Our client community is diverse and varied. This diversity is reflected in our treatment staff allowing for healthy therapeutic relationships to develop.
- We understand that other people's feelings are central to emotional well-being. Modeling this philosophy is essential for success. Our treatment programs focus on social awareness - the ability to understand and respond to the needs of others.
What Our Clients Say
Everyone made me feel welcome; the staff and clients from my first day. If I felt lost or confused I was pointed in the right direction or was given information to answer my questions. I had time to get adjusted to everything without feeling hurried.
All aspects of the program were special. The staff was kind well trained professional and experienced. Treatment was tailored to each person’s needs complemented by group therapy. My transformation has been wonderful.
InnerWisdom provided an approach to treatment that renewed my spirit mind and body. I would recommend the program to any of my family and friends. The environment is nurturing for anyone needing an environment for recovery.
I am very grateful that my treatment was at InnerWisdom Inc. This place is very special and that is because of the staff and caring environment.
Fabulous treatment program! Can’t put into words how grateful I am to have had the opportunity to come here.
Inner Wisdom has a Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP) where patients meet in groups with a therapist on a daily schedule. Patients have a variety of mental illness diagnoses including Bipolar Disorder Schizoaffective disorder Schizophrenia and substance abuse which interfere with their ability to live a full and productive life. Students will have the opportunity to shadow therapists facilitate therapy groups and Psychoeducation groups meet individually with patients and understand the case management required by Medicare and private insurance companies. Students work under a variety of therapists and can observe different styles and strengths. A strong team approach is encouraged. Students have the opportunity to get direct experience with patients and to use their skills creatively in offering therapy.
Former Student Intern