Post Traumatic Stress Disorder - PTSD
This disorder can affect anyone who has survived a severe and/or unusual physical, emotional, or mental trauma. Abused children, raped individuals, witnesses to a violent auto accident, participants or observers of killing and/or war, or survivors of a life-threatening crime or event may develop this disorder. Veterans who have experienced the horrors of war are now shining a bright light on PTSD and its many symptoms and life problems. Although traumatic events have been experienced through the ages, the "get over it" attitude of dealing with trauma is now beginning to fade and treating it as a read disorder has been re-introduced.
Some victims find themselves re-experiencing the traumatic events through nightmares, night terrors, or flashbacks. Others numb themselves emotionally, startle easily, are plagued by general anxiety, are unable to sleep, develop a poor memory, have difficulty concentrating or completing tasks, or feel guilty about their own survival. This disorder is often misdiagnosed, as a good psychosocial history of the individual is necessary in order to get a clear history of past events. Many individuals are embarrassed or ashamed about these past events and are hesitant to disclose the terrible information.
This is a treatable disorder! Although it may take some time to recover, if identified early, the fears associated with the memories do not have time to become fully unmanagable. Most people experience overwhelming fear when consciously putting attention to the event or when the memories surface on their own. If a sufferer faces the memory head on, the fears are dispelled much more quickly and completely.
Treatment from PTSD is more successful when psychotherapy, behavior modification and medication are used together. Hypnotherapy, although not widely used, can facilitate a more spedy recovery.
Symptoms of PTSD are:
- Unexplained physical ailments that continue even with treatment
- Feelings of guilt, shame, rage, or anger with no understanding of the emotion
- Uncomfortable feeling around certain people, places, or events
- Poor memory of childhood or past events
- Feelings of distance from people or life events
- Feelings of being "zoned out" or not really "being there
- “Flashbacks (snapshots) of traumatic event(s)
- Social withdrawal, or risky and rebellious behavior and life-style
- Unable to achieve close and intimate relationships
- Feelings of anxiety, depression, or panic that persists
- Suicidal thoughts or attempts
- Dreaming, day dreaming or thinking of the traumatic event(s) to the point that it diminishes the ability or perform daily activities routinely
- Most essential is our core competence in recovery. We maintain an experienced team advancing our company-wide objective for highly applicable and cost effective mental health treatment.
- We know how to manage a crisis. We provide a rapid response to any situation as we can quickly evaluate the problem stabilize the condition and anticipate a positive outcome.
- We apply our skills and expertise to help motivate individuals and groups to work together for the betterment of communities.
- Our client community is diverse and varied. This diversity is reflected in our treatment staff allowing for healthy therapeutic relationships to develop.
- We understand that other people's feelings are central to emotional well-being. Modeling this philosophy is essential for success. Our treatment programs focus on social awareness - the ability to understand and respond to the needs of others.
What Our Clients Say
Everyone made me feel welcome; the staff and clients from my first day. If I felt lost or confused I was pointed in the right direction or was given information to answer my questions. I had time to get adjusted to everything without feeling hurried.
All aspects of the program were special. The staff was kind well trained professional and experienced. Treatment was tailored to each person’s needs complemented by group therapy. My transformation has been wonderful.
InnerWisdom provided an approach to treatment that renewed my spirit mind and body. I would recommend the program to any of my family and friends. The environment is nurturing for anyone needing an environment for recovery.
I am very grateful that my treatment was at InnerWisdom Inc. This place is very special and that is because of the staff and caring environment.
Fabulous treatment program! Can’t put into words how grateful I am to have had the opportunity to come here.
Inner Wisdom has a Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP) where patients meet in groups with a therapist on a daily schedule. Patients have a variety of mental illness diagnoses including Bipolar Disorder Schizoaffective disorder Schizophrenia and substance abuse which interfere with their ability to live a full and productive life. Students will have the opportunity to shadow therapists facilitate therapy groups and Psychoeducation groups meet individually with patients and understand the case management required by Medicare and private insurance companies. Students work under a variety of therapists and can observe different styles and strengths. A strong team approach is encouraged. Students have the opportunity to get direct experience with patients and to use their skills creatively in offering therapy.
Former Student Intern