Wellness is an interactive process of becoming aware and making choices towards a more integrated and balanced life-style. Through the employment of the following task related activities, treatment goals can more easily be achieved.
- Process means a never-ending journey, and that the individual will never arrive at a point were there is no possibility of improving. However, when the process is well directed, with specific goals in mind, the individual can more successfully move toward a productive and symptom free reality.
- Aware means that we are, by our very nature, continuously seeking knowledge about how we function, how we can improve, and how we fit into the scheme of the universal whole. It is expected that each individual will gain a keen awareness of their problems and possible solutions as they engage in the therapeutic and rehabilitative process.
- Choices means that the individual is able to consider a variety of well defined options and select those that seem to be in his best interest. Alternatives are based on the individual's need and required level of care.
Wellness is an interactive process of becoming aware of, and making choices toward, a more integrated and balanced life-style. Through the employment of the following task related activities, treatment goals can more easily be achieved:
- Process means a never-ending journey and the individual will never arrive at a point were there is no possibility of improving. However, when the process is well directed, with specific goals in mind, the client can more successfully move toward a productive and symptom free reality.
- Aware means that we are, by our very nature, continuously seeking knowledge about how we function, how we can improve, and how we fit into the scheme of the universal whole. It is expected that each client will gain a keen awareness of their problems and possible solutions as they engage in the therapeutic and recovery process.
- Choices mean that the individual is able to consider a variety of well defined options and select those that seem to be in his best interest. Alternatives are based on the individual's need and required level of growth.
- Balance is determined by each person's philosophy of life, life-style, specific needs, and individuality. It is the rise and fall of powerful drives, subject to internal and external forces, that interact, one against the other, trying to keep a state of equilibrium that is constantly destroyed and recreated. Achieving balance adds an extra dimension to the whole. It makes the whole far greater than the sum of its parts. This aspect of the recovery process is stressed with each client as their treatment plan is developed, as successful, long term remission of symptoms is dependent of the establishment of balance in a person's life.
Wellness is a multidimensional concept and encompasses six aspects:
- Social aspects of wellness encourage contributing to one's human and physical environment and to the common welfare of the community. It emphasizes the interdependence with others and nature. It includes the pursuit of harmony in one's family and the friends that surround them. Interaction between one another in a setting that is safe and trusting enables the client to develop the skills needed to feel comfortable and to engage in social settings.
- Occupational aspects of wellness involve preparing for a vocation or volunteer endeavor in which one will gain personal satisfaction and find enrichment. Giving to others is the single most powerful gift that can be given, leaving the giver with much more experienced pleasure than any other task or any other gift in any form can give. It is the best of the best and the most of the most. Occupational development is related to the attitude about one's accomplishments. For those who are unable to work, or those who do not require financial rewards, volunteerism should be encouraged and explored. Occupational development is an important element that leads to healing and growth, as productivity, whether paid or volunteered builds self-esteem and a sense of personal achievement. An educational pursuit is also a purposeful way in which to fulfill the need for a personally rewarding and achievement oriented lifestyle.
- Spiritual aspects of wellness involve seeking meaning and purpose in existing. It includes the development of an appreciation for the depth and expanse of life and the natural forces that exist in the universe. An activity such as meditation, reflection, prayer, visual imagery, or the pursuit of other spiritually based activities and information, encourages spiritual growth and develops a strong personal identity. The pursuit of spirituality does not have to involve the pursuit of a religion, although religions activities can enhance the spiritual quest for those who choose it.
- Physical aspects of wellness encourage physical resiliency and strength through a program of regular physical activity, necessary rest, a balanced nutritional program, and on-going medical and mental health care. Physical development also encourages a broad knowledge the individual's illness, and discourages the use of drugs and excessive alcohol consumption. It encourages activities, which contribute to a high level of wellness, including medical self-care and the appropriate use of the medical system.
- Intellectual aspects of wellness encourage creative and mentally stimulating activities. An intellectually stimulated person uses available resources to expand his knowledge and to improve his interpersonal skills, along with expanding his potential for sharing with others. He uses intellectual and cultural activities to access other social and learning resources available within the community.
- Emotional aspects of wellness emphasize an awareness and acceptance of one's feelings. Emotional wellness includes the degree to which one feels positive and enthusiastic about one's self and one's life in general. It includes the capacity to manage one's feelings and related behaviors, the realistic assessment of one's limitations, the development of autonomy, and the ability to cope effectively with stress. The emotionally stable person maintains satisfying relationships with others.
People who achieve a high level of wellness become aware of and learn how to accept a wide range of feelings and experiences in themselves and in others. They are able to express feelings freely, and manage feelings effectively. They are able to arrive at personal choices and decisions based upon the synthesis of feelings, thoughts, philosophies, and behaviors. They live and work independently of others, while at the same time realizing the importance of seeking and appreciating the support and assistance of others. They are able to form interdependent relationships with others, based upon a foundation of mutual commitment, trust, and respect. They take on challenges, embrace taking risks, and recognize conflict as a potentially healthy pursuit. Managing life in personally rewarding ways, and taking personal responsibility for one's actions, helps life to become an exciting, hopeful adventure
- Most essential is our core competence in recovery. We maintain an experienced team, advancing our company-wide objective for highly applicable and cost effective mental health treatment.
- We know how to manage a crisis. We provide a rapid response to any situation as we can quickly evaluate the problem, stabilize the condition and anticipate a positive outcome.
- We apply our skills and expertise to help motivate individuals and groups to work together for the betterment of communities.
- Our client community is diverse and varied. This diversity is reflected in our treatment staff, allowing for healthy therapeutic relationships to develop.
- We understand that other people's feelings are central to emotional well-being. Modeling this philosophy is essential for success. Our treatment programs focus on social awareness - the ability to understand and respond to the needs of others.
What Our Clients Say
Everyone made me feel welcome; the staff and clients, from my first day. If I felt lost or confused, I was pointed in the right direction or was given information to answer my questions. I had time to get adjusted to everything without feeling hurried.
All aspects of the program were special. The staff was kind, well trained, professional, and experienced. Treatment was tailored to each person’s needs, complemented by group therapy. My transformation has been wonderful.
InnerWisdom provided an approach to treatment that renewed my spirit, mind, and body. I would recommend the program to any of my family and friends. The environment is nurturing for anyone needing an environment for recovery.
I am very grateful that my treatment was at InnerWisdom, Inc. This place is very special and that is because of the staff and caring environment.
Fabulous treatment program! Can’t put into words how grateful I am to have had the opportunity to come here.
Inner Wisdom has a Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP) where patients meet in groups with a therapist on a daily schedule. Patients have a variety of mental illness diagnoses, including Bipolar Disorder, Schizoaffective disorder, Schizophrenia, and substance abuse, which interfere with their ability to live a full and productive life. Students will have the opportunity to shadow therapists, facilitate therapy groups and Psychoeducation groups, meet individually with patients, and understand the case management required by Medicare and private insurance companies. Students work under a variety of therapists and can observe different styles and strengths. A strong team approach is encouraged. Students have the opportunity to get direct experience with patients and to use their skills creatively in offering therapy.
Former Student Intern